Batteries’ recycling: energising the EU green transition
As part of the EU Industry Days 2021, FEAD held an online event organised in partnership with the European Commission.
22 March 2021, 14h00 – 16h00 CET
FEAD provided room for discussions on the sustainable recycling of batteries, in view of the new Regulation on Sustainable Batteries proposed by the European Commission in December 2020.
Due to a substantial increase in the production and consumption of batteries, the goal of the event was to illustrate how the waste management sector provides sustainable solutions to end-of-life batteries. The event aimed at pointing out how batteries’ recycling can substantially contribute to the circular economy and, more generally, to climate neutrality. Industrial representatives active in the sector demonstrated how their innovative models are able to drive change and successfully contribute to the green transition.
– Mr. Jose RIZO MARTIN, Senior Expert in the European Commission Directorate-General for the Environment, Directorate B, Circular Economy & Green Growth
– MEP Maria SPYRAKI, Shadow-Rapporteur for the new Regulation on Sustainable Batteries, European Parliament – ITRE Committee (EPP, Greece)
– Mr. Hartmut STAHL, Senior Researcher, Oeko Institut
– Mr. Ralf MITTERMAYR, CEO, Saubermacher Dienstleistungs AG (Austria)
– Mr. Alessandro DANESI, Commercial Director of S.E.VAL Group (Italy)
– Mr. Janne KOIVISTO, Public Affairs Manager, Fortum Recycling and Waste Solutions (Finland)
– Mr. Peter KURTH, FEAD President
Wrap up by Ms. Valérie PLAINEMAISON, FEAD Secretary-General
Moderation by Ms. Claire DOOLE