Following decision OEWG-11/12 of the open-ended Working Group on the review of the Annexes of the Basel Convention, FEAD shared their comments in view of preparing the recommendations for the revision of Annex IV and Annex IX (B1110) for consideration by the Conference of the Parties during their 14th meeting.
We elaborated a guiding principle for both disposal and recovery codes:
1) As a general statement:
• So far, the current operation codes fit the needs of the waste management operators. Therefore, FEAD recommends choosing a status quo for most of the operation codes.
• FEAD recognises that it is better to keep a general description of each code and to improve the interpretation of the codes with the creation of a guidance document.
2) However, FEAD recognises:
• that certain codes need clarification, and some improvement could bring added value. Nevertheless, a list of techniques should never be considered as exhaustive.
• the need for a “catch-all code” in each respective category: disposal, and recovery codes, as the definition of waste is related to the identification of the operation.
To find out more and for our comments, you may consult them here.