FEAD is recruiting a Environmental and Technical Officer
to work on environmental and waste-related issues, to start ASAP.
Based in the heart of Brussels, close to the EU Institutions, FEAD, the European Waste Management Association, offers you the opportunity to work with a European trade association representing the waste and resource management industry.
The successful candidate, reporting to the Secretary General, will focus on the technical aspects related to waste management, collection, recycling, recovery, disposal, and environmental compliance, with a particular emphasis on EU environment and waste-related policy and legislation. The European Green Deal with its Circular Economy Action Plan is the current growth strategy for the EU. Therefore, several EU legislative acts are being revised and will be developed to create a new green economy in Europe. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be part of this new, exciting, and transformative challenge.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Collecting, analysing, reviewing, and disseminating information on policy issues relevant to FEAD members while keeping FEAD’s team updated.
- Monitoring EU policy developments and contributing to strategic policy analysis for members particularly related to non-hazardous waste, recycling & recovery, chemicals, hazardous waste, interface between chemicals, products and waste, REACH, CLP, the European waste catalogue, IED.
- Co-ordination and organisation of FEAD committee meetings on material recovery, hazardous waste, chemicals, and landfills.
- Drafting position papers, voting recommendations, briefing notes, and other policy material through negotiation with the members.
- Identifying relevant stakeholders and establishing effective relationships.
- Implementing advocacy actions based on adopted priorities.
- Representing the association in formal and informal meetings and reporting to the Secretary General and to the members.
- Together with your colleagues you will help in the preparation
and delivery of speeches and presentations, actively participate in the organisation of internal and external events and related communication actions.
- Promoting and actively representing the industry.
- University degree with scientific/technical background, preferably in environmental & industrial topics / waste management and/or chemicals, e.g., environmental science, engineering, or chemistry. Master’s degree would be preferred.
- Minimum 1-2 years of working experience. Experience in waste, circular economy or chemistry is an asset; ideally with experience of working in political science and EU public affairs.
- Strong interest and experience in environmental & industrial issues, and waste management policies and/or practices.
- Knowledge of EU environmental law, as well as the EU institutions and their procedures would be an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience of REACH, CLP and hazardous waste management would be considered an advantage.
- English (fluent) and another EU language would be considered an asset.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Ability to take initiatives and adapt in a small and highly motivated team.
- Ability to work effectively on different topics and prioritise workload within a given timeframe.
- Ability and creativity to reach consensual positions among members.
- Reliability and punctuality.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary based on the level of experience, coupled with various benefits.
- A full-time contract under Belgian law.
- 30 days of holidays per year, plus public holidays.
- Private hospital insurance.
You will be working in a multicultural, dynamic environment, with a small team of young professionals. In your role, you will be representing the industry at high-level meetings. Some travel (national and international) is expected.
If this position interests you, please send your curriculum vitae and motivation letter specifying your salary expectation to: email@example.com. Clearly state your ‘full name – Technical Officer‘ in the subject line and kindly also indicate your full name in the attached documents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Starting date: as soon as possible.